[Dshield] Bad Dest IP reported using CVTWIN and RouterLog

Wayne Larmon wlarmon at dshield.org
Fri Mar 14 13:00:23 GMT 2003

The reason why our clients don't allow the user to supply a source IP that
doesn't appear in the log is because there is too much opportunity for
mistakes.  A lot of users are assigned a dynamic IP from their ISP's DHCP
server so they would probably have a different IP each time they connect.
We don't know any relible method of tracking the external IP address.

Especially for the period before CVTWIN was installed.  The first log that
is submitted will cover several days, during which there might have been
multiple DHCP IP address assignments.  So we have adopted a policy that our
clients will only extract destination IPs if they are in a log line.

Wayne Larmon
DShield.org