[Dshield] New spammer tactic...

Doug White doug at dwhite.ws
Sat Mar 15 01:34:39 GMT 2003

I sympathize with your dilemma, however, you are blaming the messenger.  As a
Verizon customer, you could probably do far more good for the community by
directing your rant to Verizon's customer service.  They are much more likely to
listen to you than pay attention to abuse reports.  They need to secure the open
relay, and become more aggressive in enforcing their own TOS.
The very reason blacklists are in existence is due to the non-responsiveness of
service providers in enforcing their own Acceptable Use Policies.  IMHO that
Verizon will work a little harder to clean up their own act when they start
losing customers and revenue from legitimate customers such as you.
Email spamming has reached such huge proportions that any number of entities are
attempting to keep it our of their in-boxes via technology.  Of course we all
realize that technology is not perfect in every case,  but I, for one, support
its application to eliminate, or at least reduce the bandwidth stealing junk
email.  We all realize that the more aggressive the blocking, the more
legitimate mail becomes victim.

Got DSL?  Check it out!