[Dshield] OT:Viruses in Cell Phones?

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Tue Mar 18 12:33:47 GMT 2003

> Off Topic?
don't think so. In particular if you use your cell phone to receive
alerts from your IDS and such. Disabling a sysadmins cell phone can
be part of a well planned attack.

> I recently had a good friend call with a problem. Their cell phones is not
> working and ATT is telling them they have a virus. Neither Nokia nor ATT
> will replace/repair the phone.
>
> Has anyone else seen or heard of such a thing?

I have heard of a cell phone virus for i-mode phones in Japan. Also,
there are some 'DOS' style vulnerabilities in other phones that make
the phone unusable after receiving a specially formated text message.

Usually, 'rebooting' the phone (remove battery...) will fix it.

DoCoMo i-mode story:
http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,44545,00.html

Nokia DOS vulnerability:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/02/26/HNnokiados_1.html?hardware

However, there have also been 'Cell phone virus hoaxes':
http://www.f-secure.com/hoaxes/cf_virus.shtml