[Dshield] HAve I just missed this before

James C Slora Jr Jim.Slora at phra.com
Tue Mar 18 17:51:45 GMT 2003

John Dalton wrote

> or has Symantec gotten into an area we all seem familair with :
> http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?productid=159&E
> ID=0

This service has been around for a couple of years. It was developed by
SecurityFocus, and was acquired by Symantec last year as part of their
purchase of that company.

Deepsight Analyzer uses a simple agent that runs as a service or can be run
interactively.

It is a mature service similar in many ways to DShield. The service has always
been free. Symantec sales and tech staff have told me that it will continue to
be free because Symantec gets enormous value from the raw data stream itself
(which can of course have target addresses obfuscated before submission).

> Lets see, combining input from many types of firewalls into one central
> database, does this sound familiar :)

I think it is familiar to them as it is to this group. DShield's lively
discussions and the active participation of its expert staff are strengths
that are hard to beat, though.