[Dshield] HAve I just missed this before

Richard Golodner RGolodner at Aetea.com
Tue Mar 18 19:54:06 GMT 2003

Johannes, RipTech was charging us $60,000 a year for monitoring, which we no
longer use. Just to give you a 2002-2003 idea of what managed security was
costing Aetea. (500 nodes)

-----Original Message-----
From: Johannes Ullrich [mailto:jullrich at euclidian.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 2:19 PM
To: General DShield Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Dshield] HAve I just missed this before

> I think it is familiar to them as it is to this group. DShield's lively
> discussions and the active participation of its expert staff are strengths
> that are hard to beat, though.

Thanks. The main difference IMHO is that we release data 'real time'
and do not have a group of premium users that get information in
advance, while the remainder of the herd may provide logs for free,
but can't will only hear about the results a few days after everyone
else.

On the other hand, if you can put up the money for a professional
managed security service, you probably get much better support then
you will from our mailing list. Just depends if you have the $50-100k
or so to spare (at least this was the price tag I heard once. Not
sure what they charge now).