[Dshield] HAve I just missed this before

Rich Kittell dshield at quarky.org
Tue Mar 18 22:12:21 GMT 2003

If Symantec has savvy marketing weenies, they will assure that the DeepSight product has the capability to take all that rolled-up diverse firewall data and submit it to DShield. Or at minimum have the option to write it to a log file in DShield format for easy submission. Think of the "thinking globally", and "contributing to the world-wide effort" types of messages that could be spun -- at practically zero incremental cost.

Having that, an optional module for extra $$ that uses the customer's DShield account to run reports that correlate what the enterprise is seeing relative to network-wide activity would probably have a market. Once again, DShield would be doing the heavy lifting of data storage and querying.

But I guess the really savvy folks are the admins that submit all their logs to DShield, run their reports, and wind up with everything DeepSight promises at little incremental cost to their organizations. Like the admins on this list, for instance. Who should get Symantec to quote DeepSight for their network and then take that to their next performance review. "Here's what Symantec wants for doing what I'm doing for you." That might be fun.

Richard