[Dshield] Use a firewall.....

R Shady RShady at stny.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 00:07:13 GMT 2003

Taken from Lockergnome (03-28-03):

*Security or Jail - Take Your Pick*

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

This is an interesting story that has surfaced in several places online,
and its impact on personal freedom to surf could be at stake. Several
states are working on similar legislation that many interpret as meaning
that all firewalls will instantly become illegal. Common Sense seems to
be ignored by those huffing and puffing. There is a huge industry
surrounding network security, so if you think for one minute that simply
owning a commercially available firewall will subject you to jail time,
you're mistaken. Take a deep breath and think about how something like
that could possible be enforced.

The heart of the issue comes down to this bit of text I clipped from the
Texas version of the bill:

/"A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly
manufactures, assembles, imports into the state, exports out of the
state, distributes, advertises, sells, or leases, or offers for sale or
lease: a communication device with an intent to: conceal from a
communication service provider, or from any lawful authority, the
existence or place of origin or destination of any communication"/

What this says to me is that those spoofing IP addresses are subject to
prosecution, as this would be an obvious intentional attempt to conceal
the source of communication. Simply using a firewall does not in any way
prevent service providers from seeing which customer is responsible for
communications. Firewalls may indeed mask the individual PC that
generated the suspect data, but they can certainly distinguish between
customers by way of the IP address assigned to the firewall's
WAN/Internet interface.

Where I will have a problem is with bills that blatantly outlaw the use
of data payload encryption. This undermines network security and
privacy, and it would apply to corporate entities every bit as much as
individuals, so you know that will never happen. If it were to be
interpreted as such, companies would be forced to abandon Internet
access entirely, to include VPNs, extranets, e-commerce, etc. That won't
happen as long as the Internet is a viable means of communication.

Certainly, we have to keep tabs on technology-related legislation, but
the wording of what I've read thus far is geared toward those that are
purposely circumventing proper use of communication systems. The use of
a firewall would not fall into this category, I assure you.

***** End of Lockergnome quote ***********