[Dshield] Economic statistics

JHolmblad@aol.com JHolmblad at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 03:46:16 GMT 2003

Alan,

at the Wall Street Journal www site there is there is a PDF  of a one page
document called "IT Security: A Report Card".  This document is associated with
a supplement that was issued in their print edition yesterday on the subject
of security (including INFOSEC). Here is the link to the www page at the WSJ
online site that in turn references the aforesaid PDF.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB106433038213224100,00.html?mod=sr%2Dworksec%2D2003%5F2

For what it is worth, in my opinion, the WSJ has the best and most accurate
business reporting of any publication in open circulation so I would expect
that the reporters who prepared this section "kicked the tires" on the data that
they received from IDC fairly well.

If you don't subscribe to the online version of the WSJ then let me know and
I will check the digital rights restrictions on the document to see if it is
okay to copy it to you. Their source for the economic loss estimates are the
Computer Security Institute which may have the info freely available.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International