[Dshield] Message posting formatting request

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Wed Oct 1 12:01:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 01:40, Neil Richardson wrote:
> /me steps up to the microphone: "Um....hi.

Hi!

[snip]

> I have noticed lately (the past few weeks) that when someone posts a
> long message to the list, there are quite a number of people who will
> reply to the message in it's entirety and pre-pend only one or two
> lines of text.  Within a day or two, the reply has the message quoted
> 5 levels deep--with 5 different copies of the "To change your
> subscription options (or unsubscribe), see:

And shame on us, regardless of how busy we are, to not edit our quoting
(being serious, we really should edit more).

> If the new text were "post-pended", things would become annoying very
> very quickly.  ("Scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-delete.  Scroll-delete.
> Scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-delete.")  With it at
> the top, reading "untrimmed" messages isn't such a big deal--but the
> annoyance is compounded if you're trying to read your mail via a
> wireless connection, in which case having to download a 7KB message to
> read 2 new sentences and a URL becomes very unpleasant.

I can imagine how wireless might be worse, but then, I don't think I
would send a mail list, with potentially large numbers of mail pieces
(and possibly large pieces, themselves), to a wireless e-mail address.

I just finished a lengthy debate on top posting vs bottom posting, and
the bottom posters won there, so I'm forming the habit of following
suit.

[snip]

> Am I on to something?  (Comments welcome.)  Or am I completely out of
> line?  (Please reply off-list so the thread will die faster.  :-)

The moderators will set the rule, I'm sure, but I'm in favor of
significant editing and inline commenting, when possible.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.