[Dshield] Message posting formatting request

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:15:29 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 05:01, Alan Frayer wrote:

> I just finished a lengthy debate on top posting vs bottom posting, and
> the bottom posters won there, so I'm forming the habit of following
> suit.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Am I on to something?  (Comments welcome.)  Or am I completely out of
> > line?  (Please reply off-list so the thread will die faster.  :-)
>
> The moderators will set the rule, I'm sure, but I'm in favor of
> significant editing and inline commenting, when possible.

This is a decades-old issue. If you do a google search for "usenet
etiquette" you'll find documents going back as far as the mid-eighties
explaining why and how you should trim followups to only include
relevant material and the reason bottom posting is preferred to top
posting.

It's interesting that all of the etiquette issues that came up in the
300 baud days are being revisited now due to wireless cellphones, PDAs,
etc.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  There is no problem that cannot be solved by the appropriate