[Dshield] Message posting formatting request

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Wed Oct 1 17:08:22 GMT 2003

Total agreement.  Some people just hit reply and send the entire digest
(although I haven't seen to much of that lately) with their two line reply
at the end of it instead of just what/who they are replying to.  Others
attach the last 6 days to the thread as if no one has seen it before and
there is no way of looking it up.  Wireless or not it gets aggravating when
three or four previous posts in the string are just packet intercepts.
Scroll, scroll, scroll and at last "I agree."  While on the subject, why
put a signature on a public post?  How paranoid is that?  How meaningless
is that?  Why waste the bandwidth?

While on the subject (rant beginning), although recognized by public law
electronic signatures are mostly worthless as a verification.  I got one
once out of curiosity.  The online application asked me to provide my
passport #, but didn't say which passport, nor did it ask what year the
passport was issued, nor even by what country.  :)  Lots of threatening
legal language for a false answer.  No verification whatsoever occurred on
my entry involving an unusual passport.  Instead the certificate was
transmitted as soon as the application was transmitted.  I could have said
I was anyone and entered what ever data I wanted.  The certificate was
transportable to a disk so I swapped PCs and used it till I got bored with
the worthless thing and it expired.  QUID numbers (for those who count on
them) can be faked.  (This PC has several, depending on who is asking.)
That these signature things are used to arrange mortgages and the like is
really scary.  I could have said I was you, the reader, and gotten the
signature certificate.  If I knew your address and your DOB/SSN I could
have put that down too.  I would have gotten the certificate and I could
contact Quicken, Freedom Loans or whoever and arranged an equity loan on
your home, sight unseen with the money going to the bank of my choice.  An
independent contractor is hired to close the loan.  He calls the phone
number supplied by the loan applicant and meets at a place picked by the
loan applicant and checks a driver's license (we all know how easy they are
to get, in any name desired) and the transaction occurs and the check
arrives.  We almost deserve whatever happens to us because we are so wide
open.