[Dshield] Economic statistics

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:13:45 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:56, Gearry Judkins wrote:

> Virii are self propagating locally but require the use of an external
> vector to be transmitted to other hosts.
>
> Worms are self propagating and provide their own vector for reaching other
> hosts.

Also: few worms attack resources (files, etc.) on the local system,
though they may have a viral payload in addition to their basic worm
payload. Thus, a worm may be the vector for transmitting a virus from
host to host.

> This is a gross simplification, but is one that I know I generally use.
> Lately I have seen the general term 'malware' cast about and I think that
> is a symptom of the lines becomming blurry as of late.

Yeah. "Malware" also encompasses such things as spyware, so it's a
*very* general term.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  There is no problem that cannot be solved by the appropriate