[Dshield] Economic statistics

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Wed Oct 1 18:10:21 GMT 2003

---- Original message ----

Andrew.Patrick at kemperservices.com wrote:
>> >the difference between a virus and a worm lies
>> >with the mode of replication, does it not? I once
>> >had this down pat, but lack of discussion has
>> >made my memory foggy.
>>
>> Actually, I believe that, technically, worms are a subset
of viruses (i.e.
>> all worms are also viruses, but not all viruses are worms).
>
>Huh? Since when do worms spread by infecting other programs?
>
>> The defining characteristic of a worm, as opposed to other
types of
>> viruses, is that a worm does not require any human action
>> spread....
>
>Really? Lots of viruses spread without human interaction.
>
>How about this:
>
>A virus is program code that spreads by attaching itself to
other,
>legitimate program or document files. It must have write
access to files
>in order to spread. If those programs or documents are
transmitted to
>other computers, or are on shared storage, it will be able
to spread to
>other computers when the infected file is accessed. This may
or may not
>require user action depending on the nature of the infected
file
>(consider, for example, an infected file that is called from
your
>network-wide user login script).
>
>A worm is program code that spreads by directly attacking
remote
>systems, either through a flaw in a network service that
allows the worm
>to inject its code into the new system, or through a flaw in
some user
>tool that a user uses to process the file when it's
received. This
>divides worms into two categories: autonomous, which
directly attack
>publicly visible system services without human intervention,
and ... uh
>... (somebody suggest a better name than non-autonomous)
that require
>the user to interact (if only to the extent of starting
Outlook to
>retrieve messages).
>
>Perhaps: viruses attack files, worms attack services?

I agree with these. I offer up another definition to simplify.

A worm is a virus that will propagate by itself, or without
user interaction.

MBlaster worm attached automatically to a vulnerable
computer, and then used that computer to start attacking
others. The user of the computer never saw anything.

A virus is spread by somebody reading an infected email, or
going to an infected web page, or running a program of some
sort.

Keith.