[Dshield] firewall help request

JHolmblad@aol.com JHolmblad at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 18:29:14 GMT 2003

Gary,

I am a BEFSX41 user and before that the BEFSR41, and I have it between my LAN
and Verizon DSL service. I think its is a good product and it does have a
firewall which I use but, compared to a stand alone firewall, where you can set
any number of filtering rules, it is very limited. If you want to check it out
further, Linksys, as they do with all of their products, provides their user
guides on line. Here is the URL to the PDF of the UG
(ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsx41ug.pdf).

Unfortunately, the documentation does not give nearly enough detail on how
the firewall operates. Their customer service, which has gotten some negative
press in recent months, seems to be now operating from offshore locations, and
cannot go very deep, from my own experience on the subject of firewall rules. I
asked them for a more detailed user guide on the firewall but, so far, I have
seen nothing from them.

If you want to converse further about the product then feel free to contact
me via email or telephone.

I also still seem to have a problem with my DShield submissions, or at least
with the email that informs me that they have been transmitted. The latest
release of the CVTWIN client for Windows has a fix specifically for the BEFSX41,
however, it did not seem to fix the problem I think I have. The problem is
that the email ALWAYS only shows 1 line of text, as if there were only one
suspect connection attempt during the prior reporting interval, when, in fact, I
know from direct observation of my BEFSX41 log file that there are many distinct
attempts. Here is a sample:

       Lines written to database (up to 10):

       2003-10-02 00:59:20 -04:00    46468535    1    80.145.222.202    1187
  10.156.41.138    21    TCP

If any other members of this list have any insights on this, I would
appreciate hearing from you. I have sent my concern to Dshield.org.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

(H) 703 620 0672