[Dshield] Securing Mandrake 9.1

Niel van Niekerk niel at vanniekerk.net
Thu Oct 2 21:37:53 GMT 2003

atius tira wrote:
> I have a Linux Mandrake 9.1 system up and I am
> trying to learn how to use it to secure my LAN. But I am trying to use
> Bastille to secure the Mandrake system and it wont run on 9.1 .
> Anyone know of a fairly easy way to accomplish this?

Hi Atius,

Some suggestions:

For securing the box itself - If you are running X-windows, open
mandrake control center and have a look under the security tab. From
there you can set a plethora of security levels, options, configurations
and reporting. Alternatively if you really want to learn about what you
are doing and why you are doing it, have a look at the HOWTOS
(/usr/share/doc/HOWTO) and google for "securing linux" and do it the
manual way.

For firewalling "man iptables" is your firend if you want the ulitmate
control. Also google for iptables management software and see what takes
your fancy (I like shorewall, but that is a personal preference. I also
can't remember if it came with the mdk or if I downloaded it
afterwards.). There are mdk control center and I think webmin (if you
have it installed) options for configuring firewalling, but they never
seem to work the way I intend them to, your experience with them may differ.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask on or offline.

HTH
Niël