[Dshield] firewall help request

Roman Fomichev from at e-solutions.lv
Fri Oct 3 05:34:05 GMT 2003

As I understand, John, you can't do nothing then packet filtering on
linux. No stateful firewall, no proxing technologies....
Linux with iptables is good for very low cost solutions or for home
solution, where two skilled people using opera browser surh the net.

But if you are talking about normal security budget, you need to have such
solution that can protect you users running IE.
Cyberguard with proxying technologies or equivalent solutions from other
vendors

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:05:19 -0700, John Hardin <johnh at aproposretail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 10:29, Guy Barnum wrote:
>> Forgive me if this is too far off topic but it should be an easy
>> question for most of you on this list.  I simply(?) need an affordable
>> firewall appliance ASAP and would greatly appreciate advice from
>> anyone on the list.
>
> How technically skilled are you?
>
> 	Old 400-500MHz grey-box clone
> 	2 x NICs
> 	Linux 2.4 kernel distro
>
> No worries about limited capabilities. Very affordable.
>
> --
> John Hardin  KA7OHZ
> Internal Systems Administrator                    voice: (425) 672-1304
> Apropos Retail Management Systems, Inc.             fax: (425) 672-0192

Roman Fomichev