[Dshield] firewall help request

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:03:21 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 04:03, Gearry Judkins wrote:
> General DShield Discussion List <list at dshield.org> writes:
> >Old 400-500MHz grey-box clone
> Seriously?  500MHz would be the fastest system on my desk.  My linux based
> firewall is a P100 with 64MB of EDO RAM and 2 3com NICs.  Handles my DSL
> connection with no noticable slowdowns.

Sorry. My brain is stuck on firewalling a Class-C on a T1 with thorough
logging, dshield reporting, tarpits, etc. My personal firewall at home
is a P133 w/32M.

A P100 is fine for packet filtering with light logging. If you also want
to enable a VPN gateway (FreeS/WAN) I'd plan a bit more CPU. If you want
a caching proxy, add a bit more CPU and memory, and lots of disk.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  There is no problem that cannot be solved by the appropriate