[Dshield] firewall help request

Roman Fomichev from at e-solutions.lv
Fri Oct 3 16:22:46 GMT 2003

Cyberguard has per applience licencing. It costs alot. but security
allways costs...
About what scalability you're talking about? I don't think, you can manage
some dozens of linux boxes so easily as cyberguards (or ciscos, or
checkpoints, or sonicwalls, or...) managed thru centalized management.

Ok, I wasn't right about iptables capabilities(sorry, I'm not working with
linux so much this days ).

If we are talking about small amount of boxes - yes, linux means more
scalability, more features, more posibilities.

but in case of running more then N boxes(N<10), linux firewalls TCO hardly
will be cheeper: you need to patch every box separately, to modify rules
separately. So in big networks you receive more overhead, more complex
network to understand, so more propability of having holes in security.

--
Roman Fomichev