[Dshield] firewall help request

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Oct 3 18:52:28 GMT 2003

Although this has been responded to, further comment is really
necessary, if for no other reason than to keep the FUD down to a dull
roar...

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:34:05AM +0300, Roman Fomichev wrote:
> As I understand, John, you can't do nothing then packet filtering on
> linux. No stateful firewall, no proxing technologies....

You don't understand the current state, or recent history of either
Linux or iptables at all.

Absolutely nothing of the sort is true.

iptables *very* successfully accomplished stateful firewalling years
ago.

As for proxying, I really don't know how to respond. um... squid,
anyone?

http://www.squid-cache.org/

Available for years, as well.

> Linux with iptables is good for very low cost solutions or for home
> solution, where two skilled people using opera browser surh the net.

Utter nonsense...

Complete and utter nonsense.

- John
--