[Dshield] [OT] Naughty File Detector

Bjorn Stromberg bjorn at thechemistrylab.com
Fri Oct 3 22:12:17 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Inglis" <wyrdrune at yoshiwara.org.uk>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 5:44 AM
Subject: [Dshield] [OT] Naughty File Detector

> I'm going to be starting a new job in the near future, and one of the
> things which I'm going to be responsible for is the security policy. I
> want to ban P2P programs, but from what I understand of the protocols they
> are capable of port-hopping, and can even land on port 80.

Noticed this today on Slashdot, probably what you're looking for.

>From the Wired article:
"Integrated Computer Application for Recognizing User Services, commonly
called Icarus ... The open-source program was developed by campus
programmers to cut off the file sharing going on among students."

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,60613,00.html

Bjorn Stromberg
Mid-Continent Testing Laboratories, Inc.
http://www.TheChemistryLab.com/