[Dshield] Problems with email

Doug White doug at clickdoug.com
Fri Oct 3 23:28:03 GMT 2003

Your description sounds like the "customer" infected himself and then started
pumping out all the email cached on his local machine.  Also apparently the ISP
does not have an anti-virus solution on the server, and perhaps it, too is now
infected.  There could be multiple infections within their customer base, but it
looks more like the server itself or a machine networked to the server.

Alternatively, there is a corruption of program files in the Queue manager
portion of the server, where if is not deleting messages after they are sent,
but looping over them over and over again.  The cause may well be related to a
drive going bad.

If they have a backup recent enough to be just before the problem showed up,
then perhaps shutting down the mail server, restore the backup (just to restore
server program files that may have become corrupt) and then restart it.  It the
problem persists, then it is time to take it offline and to a rebuild on the
server.  Unfortunately either of these scenarios will cause not only the loss of
the repeated mail, but any new mail which may be included in the queue.

Were I the administrator of that server, this is where I would go.

Featuring Win2003 Enterprise, RedHat Linux, CFMX 6.1 and all databases.
Suggested corporate Anti-virus policy: http://www.dshield.org/antivirus.pdf