[Dshield] Re: list Digest, Vol 10, Issue 6

atius tira atiustira at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 11:47:11 GMT 2003

atius tira wrote:
>I have a Linux Mandrake 9.1 system up and I am
>trying to learn how to use it to secure my LAN.

Thanks for the reply to my Mandrake 9.1 question. Niel van Niekerk. I will
be e-mailing you off list. If you will help:) I will set the e-mail heading
atiustira Mandrake so you will know it is from me. I want to learn how to do
it
manualy. I am trying right now to set up smoothwall. It seems like the only
way
that I can get a internet connection right now is by typing smoothwall
clear.
But I will withstand the frustration of the learning curve. Maybe even be
able
to send in some firewall logs some day:)

John Hardin for the affordable firewall appliance. I live in So Cal and you
can
pickup a Belkin 2.4Ghz -802.11 Wireless router here for about 89 dollars. I
got one recently when I called my ISP because I could'nt get a connection.
They told me there was'nt anything wrong on there end. So after I tried
everything I could think of I flashed my BIOS on my BEFW11S4 Linksys
Wireless Router. And it killed it.After two more phone calls I found out the
problem was on there end. I had'nt been able to find a firmware upgrades for
the Linksys since last DEC. So I guess
it was about time anyways. There were a couple of times when I want'ed to
pull my
hair out. Watching the lights blink like grand centrall station. On the
Linksys
when the computers were shut off. Took the systems of line and bit the
bullet. By
doing a format and reinstall on the computers. And flashing the BIOS on the
router. I do'nt remember the Linksys having a SPI statefull packet
inspection feature on the firewall. That model only had NAT. The Belkin has
NAT and SPI.
And for the Wireless you can set AES encryption.     Atius