[Dshield] Problems with email

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 17:01:22 GMT 2003

Actually this is a normal behavior, it the client machine is set to leave
the mail on the Server, I can hookup with a mail client and read my mail.
The mail stays on the server (the client is not set to remove the mail)
thus my mail is available from any Internet connection (including my
neighbors machine if I setup the account). So it does not matter if it is a
Nix Server or MS Exchange both are set to protect the "Users Email." Unless
"I" tell My Email client to Remove the mail from the Server!

What most ISP's do not do is monitor the size of the mailbox ( they just
add more drive space ) and force people to remove the mail (they do not
even know it is there). A bad behavior of Outlook Express 5.x was, when
there was a problem with the connection revert to leaving the email on the
server (even though you setup it to pull/put to personal folders.). So two
years of email still "is" probably still there. So the problem is probably
User Education.

Now, the Sys Admin has a Nightmare. They could probably setup a script to
flush mail older that xx.xx.xx date. Be Very Ruthless! Some users will have
two plus years of Mail Disappear! and the Sys Admin will regain ten tons of
drive space

Al