[Dshield] Verisign fighting back at ICANN

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 06:27:17 GMT 2003

Okay I have been putting a cover over the back deck all day and am tired. I
even had a couple of beers for good measure.

I have had the opportunity to require information about "Who" Owns a Domain
so I could request they go fix a problem. In some cases the problem was so
bad a Telephone had to be used. I have owned my "personal" domain since 96,
yes my email address has been raped. So where was the Concern back then?
The General Statement is that it was kinder more friendly Internet, that
did silly things like relay email.

Until last year, I had renewed through "now" Verisign (for profit for the
stock holders). They wanted to charge me a silly $35.00/year and there was
really no break if I bought 3 years. My Wife does web hosting and said
WHAT! Obviously I moved my registrar.. As I moved I got an email and then a
phone call (they have my phone number).. They ask me why I moved and then
offered me the same price break that I got from another registrar. Go
Figure. Yes there was a snag in moving the registrar. They could have said
that because you are a "valued" customer we offer this..  It goes back to
what the Stockholders need for profit. Irrespective of what is right/wrong
or privacy issues. It is Profit! So my opinion would be Verisign is WRONG!

Those issues about privacy were brought ages ago. Suddenly they are "now"
important. Yes there is way that people that have NIC handles could be
accessed (records). Then the need for people that are getting SPAM for a
record that is publicly addressed.  I would say it is a breach of "trust"
or a need for something they can not solve. Those other silly words come to
mind also, like Ethics, Integrity etc... Where did they forget them? Sorry
there is Small Profit in that.

ICANN is Right!

Scrape as I put the SoapBox Away

Al