[Dshield] I need some quick (IPT) help

David Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Tue Oct 7 18:33:22 GMT 2003

Our NetGear RT314 finally gave up the ghost this morning. I quickly
replaced it with a LynkSys (POS). What a dog rocket.

Given the limitations, it's time to move to IP Tables. I'm not entirely
sure that I know what I'm doing.

I recompiled the Kernel (2.4.22) to include all the necessary filtering
options.

We have three LAN IPs on the server over two NICs. Two are used for
Postfix (in and out) and I just added the third on a separate card;
figuring that I would use that as a DMZ for default port forwarding. Is
that a logical approach?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're going to 86 all connections coming
into the the dedicated LAN IP (given that all the good traffic is
already port forwarded).

Again, assuming that this is a logical approach, am I better off with IP
Tables or using something like Shorewall?

Should we drop or reject the undesirable packets?

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated. The ultimate
objective is to get good logging and consume as few cycles and as little
bandwidth as is reasonably necessary.
      Hart's PGP Key: 0x7BFF655E - http://TQMcube.com/hart_pgp.txt
         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
   Email acceptance policy: http://www.TQMcube.com/email_policy.html