[Dshield] I need some quick (IPT) help

George Theall theall at tifaware.com
Tue Oct 7 20:28:02 GMT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:40:44PM -0400, Johannes Ullrich wrote:

> I haven't looked at shorewall. But 'smoothwall', a very similar system
> is highly recommended for standard setups (2 or 3 network cards). It
> takes a lot of the pain out of the setup, and is probably more secure as
> it is easy to 'mess up' when writing your own rules from scratch.

An alternative to self-contained firewall appliances / distributions
such as Shorewall, smoothwall, and IPCop on one hand and writing rules
from scratch on the other is to use a package such as MonMotha's
IPTables Firewall (http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php) or
GIPTables (http://www.giptables.org/).  These are shell scripts that can
be configured relatively easily, have been vetted by the community, and
don't assume use of dedicated hardware.  While they may not be up to the
demands of every business, for a home or small office, they may work
well.

George
theall at tifaware.com