[Dshield] Microsoft suit could set precedent for bad software

Mike mjcarter at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 8 07:32:16 GMT 2003

Exactly!
Don't forget that the affects of tobacco weren't proven for quite some time
and once that was proven then laws were made/changed.
Could we not say the same for cell phones??? or anything else that we don't
fully understand the consequences of.

I guess the difference is that (as far as we know) software doesn't kill you
"directly".

I know you could argue that a crashed computer controlling, say, a traffic
light could get you killed in a car accident. And I guess there are plenty
of other arguements about how similar things could happen to you, but that's
not a direct affect, there are many more things involved.

You could also ask "why weren't they paying attention?" Maybe they were
talking on their cell phone and/or looking for that cigarette butt they just
dropped between their legs.