[Dshield] Recent Submission - Possible Firewall Misconfiguration

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Wed Oct 8 13:17:39 GMT 2003

Bruce,

It may be that the server at 200.239.53.35 is running a
service like IRC. IRC will connect back to the ident port
(113) to acquire a user name. It is pretty much a throw-back
to the initial IRC clients that ran text-based on Unix. Most
IRC clients just ignore these requests, or they fake
but is now largely unused. Ident is probably used for other
things too, but my exposure to it has only been from the IRC
side.

As far as the other connects, I'm not sure. Obviously :25 is
an smtp port.

What kind of services are you running on your side?

I did check, and 200.239.53.35 is running a web site, but
it's in Spanish.

Keith.