[Dshield] OT W2K/ME

Deb Hale haled at pionet.net
Wed Oct 8 20:22:39 GMT 2003

You don't by chance have a file on the hard drives that is malware***.exe
(where *** represents any digits, 0-9), do you?
This is a characteristic of  Backdoor.Coreflood.dr (symantec), which was new
in Sept.  I have seen this on a computer and it was reacting similar to what
you are describing.

I had to boot the computer in safe mode and do a virus scan to finally get
rid of all of the residual junk from it.  One thing that I had to do was
unregister a file (don't remember the name of the file :(- ) in order to
stop an error that the registered program had trouble loading (not exact
message!).

Just a thought.