[Dshield] Spammers and Security

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Oct 10 18:20:51 GMT 2003

Gearry Judkins wrote:

> I don't recall seeing this on the list, but I know that some people on the
> list must of seen this.  For all the rest, here is an interesting article
> on slashdot:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/09/1847217
>
> I must say that the level of discussion on the topic was good, but not as
> good as I generally see on this list.  Interested to see what any of you
> may have to add....
>
> Gearry

I hate to say it, but this is really old news. I guess the popular press has just now figured out there is a story behind it.

Early this spring, we had some elderly grandmother call us because her cable provider had just cut off her Internet service. They said that she was cut off for running a hard core porn site on her computer. She said that the only people to ever use her computer was her elementary school grand kids and she check her email about once a day. A clear victim of this or a similar scheme.

This was the first time we encountered this, and the number of calls like it are constantly increasing.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA