[Dshield] verified open relay

George Theall theall at tifaware.com
Thu Oct 16 02:18:11 GMT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:17:17PM -0700, lmc wrote:

> I sent an email to a list that I am on and it bounced back to me with the following note:
>
> Note:      Message is being rejected
> Reason:    66.218.xxx.xxx: verified open relay (bl.spamcop.net)
>
> The original message is included below. Our system has identified the message
> as spam / unsolicited / or unwanted. If you believe this is in error, please
> review the reason, listed above, and re-send your message.
>
> I don't know what this means.  Can someone explain it to me?

It means that:

  (1) your message at some point passed through the host
      66.218.xxx.xxx,
  (2) that host has been determined by SpamCop.net to be an
      open relay (ie, allows anyone to send mail to anyone else
      via that host), and
  (3) the destination host has decided not to allow messages which
      SpamCop identifies as open relays.

George
theall at tifaware.com