[Dshield] New critical Windows vulnerabilities

Josh Tolley josh at raintreeinc.com
Thu Oct 16 15:44:35 GMT 2003

warpmedia wrote:

> Oh that messenger, forgot about it when I started using a firewall.

That might not be the greatest thing to do in lots of situations (I
understand, though, that I don't know your particular situation). We
would have gotten burned by that attitude when Blaster came out, because
at least two laptops and likely more were brought into our
firewall-protected network of 50 or so machines having already been
infected at home. Fortunately we were more or less prepared. People
getting in through VPN connections and the like could also pose a
problem. But again, I don't know your situation, and you may be
perfectly safe after all with the firewall you have. Insofar as anyone
is ever perfectly save with a live connection to any network, that is.

Josh