[Dshield] Request for Information re: Linksys Router Logging and Dshield Submissions

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 16:23:18 GMT 2003

All,

I recently made a modification to my Linksys router (BEFSX41) to
explicitly filter (by configuring a new filter using the filters tab on
the www browser based control console for the Linksys router)  incoming
packets targeted to  UDP port 1026 on my router and coming from the
Internet. I did this because I was noticing a lot of such "hits"
recently in my DShield submissions. Thanks to yesterday's posting by
John Hardin  which clarified the protocol mechanism that Microsoft OS's
use for the Messenger Service, I now realize that these "hits" were
probably of that kind and that these submissions may have somehow
contributed to DShield's statistics, and, in turn, Microsoft's awareness
that something was going on with respect to a vulnerability in the
Messenger service.

One side effect of this new filtering  rule in my router appears to be
that my daily submissions to Dshield via the CVTWIN software no longer
report such "hits".   This diminution of  Dshield submission volume was
a surprising result to me especially because, when I use the
aforementioned Linksys "www browser based control console" to examine
the log file entries, such "hits", which formerly appeared in green type
font, are now in red, indicating that they were stopped by a filtering
rule! Obviously, red should be of more concern than green, so why don't
these log entries, which are now flagged in read type font, get  into my
submissions to Dshield? If I am correct,  then this outcome does not
seem to fall into the realm of "best practice" because, otherwise useful
information for Dshield is now not getting where it is supposed to go!
The reduction in submission volume is significant (at least the part
that I see in the email message that I get copied on which shows about a
10:1 reduction with, of course, total elimination of entries for
incoming UDP packets on port 1026.

Because this router also performs NAT/PAT and because I do NOT  have any
Addr/Port to service mappings for incoming connections of any protocol
type, the router first logs and  then  drops such TCP " connection
request" or UDP "connectionless" packets. As a consequence ,  during the
time period before I had the filtering rule in effect (that is, from
when I installed the router until yesterday), I believe I was and am
still  fairly safe from attack from the Internet even without this
filtering rule. Therefore one  simple "workaround" for this anomaly
would be to turn the filter off so that Dshield can get the additional
"hit" volume that is now being suppressed by imposition of this
filtering rule.

 In general it would appear that the only vulnerability of a NAT/PAT
router without any mapping of incoming connections to available
services, would be the case of "session hijacking" where an attacker,
using a "man in the middle" attack, is able to take over an open
"transaction query response pair", say of a UDP based service on the LAN
that is awaiting a UDP response from the Internet side of such a
session. Unfortunately, the Linksys documentation does not provide any
insight as to what steps their product takes to thwart such attacks. It
is not even clear whether or not their product is IETF RFC compliant
with respect to NAT/PAT (e.g. UDP packet response wait timer setting)
since their User Guide documentation does not specifically mention any
such compliance.

I should add that I rely on the Linksys Logviewer software to "catch"
the  router log info which the Linksys router sends out via SNMP onto
the LAN to the PC which is running Logviewer. This is Linksys freeware
that I do not think has been updated by Linksys for quite some time.  It
is possible that the Linksys router uses a different SNMP packet type to
send "red" log entries as opposed to "green" or "black" log entries and
therefore the Logviewer software is not picking up such packets. Before
I take the trouble of  running an Ethereal trace on the
Linksys<=>Logviewer packet flows I thought I would ask any members of
this list who are using this Linksys product if they understand what is
going on here. Any help will be appreciated.

I would add that I have spoken to Linksys customer report and requested,
on more than one occasion, that they provide  improved documentation on
the firewall related aspects of the BEFSX41 but so far I have not gotten
any useful response.  The only good news here is that they at least have
people to answer the telephone when you call them, which is more than
you can say for a lot of suppliers to the SOHO market. This lack of good
documentation is unfortunate for Linksys because if they did a little
more work on the firewall side (first documentation wise and then some
product improvements) I think their product would be much more suited as
a low end  Small Office router than it is today. I have copied Linksys
on this email as well so If I get a response  I will let you all know
what I learn from them.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International