[Dshield] New critical Windows vulnerabilities

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Thu Oct 16 18:09:19 GMT 2003

Messenger on a home network is probably not required. If you
have a NAT router, you can certainly block the port. This
won't stop the attempted connects. It just means that they
won't be reported. You can also turn off the service. Right
click on my computer, hit "Manage", and then go
into "Services and Applications" and then "Services". Go down
to "Messenger". If you double click it, you'll see a
dependencies tab. My home XP shows that no programs depend on
it. Please note again, that stopping the messenger service
won't stop the connect attempts, but you'll stop getting the
popup ads.

I hope this helps,
Keith.