[Dshield] New critical Windows vulnerabilities

Paul Fottler paulf at salem.cc
Thu Oct 16 18:22:22 GMT 2003

Greetings!!

The Messenger service is mainly just for popup network messages, often
from management or monitoring applications. However, for most home users
it is completely unnecessary. We barely need it in our office, and then
only for our admin workstations to receive a few notices. Most systems
support other methods of notification these days, such as email.

To disable:

You must be logged in with your administrative account.
Go to the Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services.
Locate the service named "Messenger" and double-click it for the
properties page.
Find the field that says "Startup Type" and change it to Disabled.
Find the "Stop" button below that, and click it to stop the service.

Some people have advocated deleting the file for it, but I don't feel
that is necessary. That's up to you, naturally.

Paul Fottler
Information Systems Lead
Salem Communications