[Dshield] Request for Information re: Linksys Router Logging and Dshield Submissions

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 01:43:16 GMT 2003

John,

of course my first priority goal is to protect my network but once I
became aware of the DShield service I thought it was a good use of my
system's resources to become part of the community of interest which
provides  information to Dshield.

Regarding filtering, it is not at all obvious from Linksys documentation
that filtering should imply that therefore Dshield should not get such
log entries. The very fact that the Linksys router turns the entries RED
when they are filtered  suggests to me that they would be of even higher
priority for capture by the Logviewer application than they would
otherwise be and, therefore MORE  likely, not less,  to get harvested
into the  file that is uploaded by the CVTWIN software to the DShield
service.

Regarding Microsoft not paying attention to what DShield is doing I
cannot comment one way or another. Of course they are a big company, but
I have no idea of how many individuals are on this list who might work
in the area of INFOSEC either directly for Microsoft or indirectly in
one of their partner organizations.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad