[Dshield] time out for a humor break

melvin smith Foxtail at emailaccount.com
Mon Oct 20 01:41:42 GMT 2003

John Sage wrote;

And get an advert with every update..

..or would it be an update with every advert? Hard to say.

My money's on more advertising than information.
John, please dont't give M$ any ideas. Remember
the BSOD ad idea?? ..........Mel.
                              *   *    *
Microsoft Announces Ads for BSOD
By Brian Briggs and Reinhard Gantar

Redmond, WA - In an effort to boost sagging
revenue growth, Microsoft today announced it
will begin selling advertising space on the
company's world famous Blue Screen of Death
(BSOD)©. The screen, displayed whenever
Windows cannot recover from an error in the
operating system's core, until now has
historically served as a display of
unintelligible diagnostic data that has not
made any sense to anyone, ever, according
to a survey conducted by the Gartner Group.
In addition, the BSOD has scared most users
because it was composed mainly of
hexadecimal digits that, which in extreme
cases, can lead to hallucinations, epileptic
seizures and homosexuality in primates and rats.

The Bud Screen of Death
"Past efforts to make the blue screen more
helpful by adding animated characters and
changing the hue to a more user-friendly beige
or aqua have failed," said head of BSOD
Development Kate Verban. "When we failed to
make the BSOD user- friendly, we decided that
at least it could generate revenue. Displayed
more than a billion times a day globally, the
blue screen has a captive audience, with over
90 percent of the computer desktops in the
world. This makes it an excellent platform for
advertisers, comparable only to the Super Bowl
and makes watching the blue screen just about
as exciting."

Tom Gordon, Director of Marketing for
Anheuser-Busch, confirmed today that the
beverage giant will be among the first
advertisers, "We think it's a tremendous
opportunity," said Gordon. "Picture this,
you're working late at night on a crucial
project. Your computer crashes. You've lost
all your important work. It's definitely time
for a beer, and we'll be there to remind you
that the beer should be a beechwood-aged
Budweiser."

For earlier versions of Windows, the BSOD ads
will be installed using the Windows Update
feature. However, Windows XP systems connected
to the Internet will automatically install the
new software in the middle of the night when
no one is looking.