[Dshield] Microsoft patches

Bob Savage bsavage at rnr-inc.com
Mon Oct 20 13:51:00 GMT 2003

First a disclaimer!

This is just an observation on my own experience.  It is not a rebuttal, argument, critique of anyone else's experience, or a defense of one operating system over another.

I have not yet had any problems with Microsoft patches, security updates, or service packs.

Admittedly, our network is small and simple.  Some might call it "fundamental".  There are only a few managers in our organization and they don't demand a lot.  I realize that in many ways this is a unique situation.

Up until last month I had not used the Windows "Automatic Update" service.  I've been experimenting with it on the servers and on various users' PC's, and the results seem positive.  As I'm turning it on I'm warning each user so they won't be surprised when they get the reboot request.  No objections so far, but again I have good users to work with.

I know a lot of folks have big problems with the updates.  Am I the only one that's found them trouble free?  Are there things we all could take to make them easier and smoother?  Again, the point is not to defend MS or to criticize anyone else.    Just wondering if given what we have to work with if there are things we could do to make our jobs easier.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who has a headache from time to time.  When offered an aspirin she'll always decline, explaining that if she took it the headache would go away and then she'd have nothing to complain about.  I'm also guilty of that approach sometimes!

Bob Savage
IT Manager, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
RNR, Inc.