[Dshield] Microsoft patches

David Klotz klotz at acm.org
Mon Oct 20 21:20:15 GMT 2003

This gets to the point of the choice you have to make.  In my mind
there's a probability that an MS patch will cause your computer to not
boot up, which in my experience is very small at least as far ask
desktops go, and a probability that if you don't automatically apply the
patch you or your users will forget and they'll get hit with some sort
of worm.  The probability of that happening seems much higher to me, and
so I've made the choice to set people's machines to automatically
install.

If this was a larger, or more heterogeneous network, or maybe just
better funded, I might opt for some sort of enterprise patch management
solution, but I can't justify that cost now.

-dk