[Dshield] Microsoft patches

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 02:01:36 GMT 2003

Bob,

you may also be aware that Microsoft has had for some time now a freely
distributed software product called Software Update Services (SUS) that
you can install on one of your Microsoft Servers (2k or 2003 if you have
it already) and synchronize that SUS servers patch database with the
 Microsoft public Windows Update site. Then you can retarget the rest of
your servers, (W2KPro, W2kServer & Advanced Server, WXP, and above) to
load from that local SUS server. Here is the URL to the www page for
information on the product. I plan to deploy this in my lab network in
the next 90 days to reduce the quantity of repetitive donwloads from the
Microsoft site necessary to keep the lab systems up to date.

            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

I have seen it demonstrated (there was a recent technect wwwcast which
is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2351.asp and it uses an
HTTP based admin tool so you will need to have IIS running on whichever
server you choose to load the SUS software. Right now the SUS  only
deals with security related patches and not the various other
non-security related ones available from Microsoft relating to driver
updates, etc.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad