[Dshield] RE: [Larholm/PivX] Proxy attackers/hijackers

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 02:27:25 GMT 2003

Paul,

thanks for clarifying Thor's contributions to the community at large. I
learned of the IE vulnerability www site only recently and have cited it
in a paper I am writing that makes reference to the ongoing challenges
that Microsoft faces in fixing their software. I wish to thake the time
also, to thank Thor for his contribution to that www site which has only
reinforced my decision to start using Netscape again after all these
years and not depend solely on IE (my 1+1 strategy). At least AOL has
made it easier to import IE favorites.

My own experience with Redhat Linux professional 8.0 is that it also has
a fairly regular stream of patches (I would say approximately the same
patch velocity if not greater than that of  Microsoft's server os
patches) which I assiduously apply. Unfortunately because of a
certificate expiration problem for which Redhat provided an advance
warning and fix but which fix, nonetheless, failed  to work on my Linux
laptop, despite my faithful adherence to their instructions for updating
the certificate, I am now behind on Linux patches. I have come to
understand that  Linux too requires "care and feeding". I have also had
less than a stellar experience with Redhat's customer service although
the are clearly well intentioned and I still support their customer
support offering.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad