[Dshield] Microsoft patches

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 02:39:08 GMT 2003

Doug,

your points are well taken. Of course, in a large network with diverse
hardware images, and more than one level and or manufacturer of OS's,
staying "religiously" current is not always so simple, especially if a
patch breaks something on a material and important subset of the
machines in question. Thus the point made by another respondent of
 "testing before deploying" is vital in such nets. This is another
reason why in Microsoft Networks, the tool I mentioned earlier this
evening in another post, Software Update Services, is useful, because it
allows the Sysadmin to better control the rollout of updates. And for
very large networks, Microsoft has a licensed product (i.e. not
freeware) calles Systems Management Server to manage software updates of
all kinds, not just security related ones, as well as other network
management tasks.

There is an excelent composition that I heard earlier this year thanks
to Eric Cole at SANS, in the form of a folk tune called "Every OS Sucks"
by ????. It is halarious and, of course true to its words.  A milder
title might be "Every Sysadmin's Lament". I suspec an MP3 of it is
floating out there somewhere but I have not taken the time to find it.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International