[Dshield] Microsoft patches

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 03:27:30 GMT 2003

Michael,

the truth of the matter is that much of information security boils down
to common sense and "good hygiene" or as some prefer to now call it,
"safe computing" practices. But such hygiene has a time and economic
cost which must be paid up front (like insurance) whereas the cost of
malware cleanup is paid in arrears, so there is  a "time value of money"
advantage for postponing preemptive defensive action hoping that the
"pox" will pass over the defenseless or poorly defended enterprise. My
experience is that large enterprises (my  definition of large is 1000
workstations/servers and above, say an annual revenue of $100m-$200m and
above) clearly understand the need for "defense in depth" and pay
accordingly up front to make it a reality. It is the much larger
quantity of medium and now, more frequently, small enterprises (and, for
that matter governments, e.g. state and local) that are learning the
painful consequences of not making such upfront investments. As
absorption of broadband Internet connectivity into these market segments
(medium and small enterprises, that is) increases, so does the quantity
of access points (albeit of generally lower bandwidth) increase
dramatically,  and, to the extent that those enterprises are not as well
defended, they become the proverbial "weakest link" for exploit. Those
who are not defended are, of course sitting ducks. Unfortunately, it is
these organizations that, in my perception anyway, are the most stressed
in terms of sysadmin resources and training to do the right thing, which
I am sure is what they want, Dilbert style management notwithstanding!

Training and awareness are of course a big part of the problem. To that
end SANS is just now finalizing a (fee based) service for end user
INFOSEC awareness training. It covers the basics, and you can run
through a sample at the www site below. I did so, and in my opinion,
they will have a real winner and valuable site on their hands if they
have priced it correctly. Off course, most if not all of it is simply
common sense to us but not necessarily so to the non-IT person. (e.g.
Why should I ever have to change my password especially since my bank
NEVER requires me to change my PIN, which, oh by the way is only 4
characters and all numeric?)

    http://www.sans.org/awareness/

What we all need to understand is that there are 100's of millions of
users out there whose understanding of the risks is significantly lower
than that of this list's members, and whose expectations of software
reliability and security is MUCH higher. They do not expect nor want the
burden of having to spend time on INFOSEC, they just want to do their
jobs whatever those might be.

If you or anyone else on this list are interested in reviewing a draft,
I am writing a paper targeted to senior business executives that
synthesizes a set of best INFOSEC practices and attempts to show the
reader how the application of only a subset of those practices could
have nailed the recent (pre world series!) virus attacks (Blaster,
Sobig, SVEN) It is entitled "12 Easy Pieces"
. I have not copied the full list on this because a) it is a draft, and
b) for many it would be redundant to what they know already. Anyone who
is interested just send me and email and I will forward a PDF of it.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

(H) 703 620 0672