[Dshield] Re: [Larholm/PivX] Proxy attackers/hijackers

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 04:10:52 GMT 2003

Barry,

I fully agree with your view on vulnerability disclosure. The supplier
of any product has to make their own judgment of the benefits and costs
their firm of the timing of disclosure which may or may not be in the
best interests of customers, as odd as that may sound. Timing of the
disclosure of auto safety defects bears witness to this dilemma for the
auto industry, for example. I have for a long time bought into the
homily (often stated by though probably not originated by Bruce
Schneier)   that "security through obscurity" is not a good plan. I do
believe time should be provided for the supplier to verify the
vulnerability, just in case the discovering party has a "false
positive". My sense, although I don't follow it closely, is that most
industry participants are following that method (i.e. notifying the
supplier first).
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad