[Dshield] Re: Re: [Larholm/PivX] Proxy attackers/hijackers

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Oct 21 10:05:32 GMT 2003

Barry, et al:

/* begin digression */
/* not to be taken in any way as a defense of Ralph Nader */

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:05:41AM -0400, Sam Node wrote:
> <<Rant begins.>

/* snip */

> I DO remember
> when GM was selling the Corvair. It was one of the most fuel
> efficient cars available (Remember the little 4 cyl. Pontiac
> Tempests?). These cars flopped in the market and Ralph Nader made
> sure that the Corvair was known as "Unsafe at Any Speed." I never
> understood how a car that had the basic design of the revered
> Volkswagen Beetle could so maligned.

/* snip */

The problem with the original Beetle, and the original Corvair, and
the original Triumph Spitfire was what was known as a "swing axle"
rear suspension.

This rear suspension design made all three cars pretty hairy under
hard cornering.

This suspension design was marked by a long half-shaft pivoting at a
universal joint as far inboard to the transaxle (or rear end
differential, in the case of the Spitfire) as the manufacturer could
design it, the result being a very large radius through which the rear
tires pivoted at the outboard end of the rear axles under body roll
during cornering.

Large radii swings in the rear axle under hard cornering caused the
inboard rear tire to "tuck under" and the resulting reduction in
contact patch area caused a sudden loss of traction, and I mean
*sudden* and *unpredictable*.

The solution for the Beetle and the Gen.One Spitfires was an EMPI
"Camber Compensator" which essentially functioned much like a rear
anti-sway or anti-roll bar. This essentially diminished inboard rear
tire tuck-under and made the handling under heavy cornering both
predictable and better overall.

I bought a new 1965 Triumph Spitfire and used to slalom and rally the
car extensively in the late 60's and early 70's, until I replaced it
with a factory/BRE rally-preped Datsun 510 in 1971.

The Spitfire was a vicious and unpredictable beast until I put EMPI'S
Camber Compensator on: I came close to rolling the car on several
occasions.

GM completely redesigned the Corvair rear suspension for its Gen.Two
model.

Ralph Nader's point re: the Corvair was that an enormous corporation,
with vast financial and engineering assets at its disposal,
deliberately chose a rear suspension design soley on the basis of
cost-cutting, a rear suspension design that was universally known to
be:

1) primitive at best (when was the Beetle designed?)

2) vicious and unpredictable at best under hard cornering

/* end digression */

- John
--
"Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?"
-