[Dshield] Slightly OT: GMT
Jon R. Kibler
Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Oct 22 17:21:31 GMT 2003
We operate servers in several different time zones. To lessen the confusion about 'what time is it on system x?', we are considering changing everything that is not an end-user workstation (servers, routers, etc.) to use GMT -- just set the local time zone to "GMT."
We believe that this will:
- simplify the consolidation of logs,
- eliminate confusion about update timestamps,
- simplify figuring out when a failure occurred (esp. when we paged in the middle of the night),
- we won't have to worry about fixing time zones when submitting to DShield,
- we won't have to maintain a bunch of separate jumpstart configurations for otherwise identical systems just because of time zone, and
- hopefully solve a whole range of other 'time problems.'
Oh yeah, and the issue coming up in about a week -- we won't have to worry about DST (summer time) anymore. However, we are not sure whether fixing one set of problems will create an entire new set.
Does anyone else run such a configuration?
Is this a good or bad idea?
Will it create other problems?
Your pros and cons please!
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Charleston, SC USA
Filtered by: TRUSTEM.COM's Email Filtering Service
No Spam. No Viruses. Just Good Clean Email.
More information about the list