[Dshield] Slightly OT: GMT

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Oct 22 17:21:31 GMT 2003

Greetings:

We operate servers in several different time zones. To lessen the confusion about 'what time is it on system x?', we are considering changing everything that is not an end-user workstation (servers, routers, etc.) to use GMT -- just set the local time zone to "GMT."

We believe that this will:
  - simplify the consolidation of logs,
  - eliminate confusion about update timestamps,
  - simplify figuring out when a failure occurred (esp. when we paged in the middle of the night),
  - we won't have to worry about fixing time zones when submitting to DShield,
  - we won't have to maintain a bunch of separate jumpstart configurations for otherwise identical systems just because of time zone, and
  - hopefully solve a whole range of other 'time problems.'
Oh yeah, and the issue coming up in about a week -- we won't have to worry about DST (summer time) anymore. However, we are not sure whether fixing one set of problems will create an entire new set.

Does anyone else run such a configuration?

Is this a good or bad idea?

Will it create other problems?

Your pros and cons please!

Thanks.