[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 17:27:24 GMT 2003

David,

regarding your last (tangent) point with respect to the Windows XP EULA,
of course, this is a  user license rights management  issue from
Microsoft's perspective. Microsoft does not want users turning their XP
systems into a  server system without paying the license fees for such a
system. If you ever use the Remote Desktop Protocol/Program/Procedure
(RDP) in XP which is, in my opinion  a valuable feature for performing
remote admin work on a desktop,  you will see that it only allows one
user to be active at a time, that is, you cannot have multiple RDP
sessions going on at once. Furthermore, you cannot have an RDP session
at the same time as a user is logged on locally. The local user has to
log off, before the RDP session can proceed. Windows XP in fact does
allow  multiple simultaneous users to be logged on, however, through the
above means, Microsoft limits the number of simultaneous active
interactive sessions to  one at a time.

If anyone on this list knows of a convenient tool that  runs under
Microsoft Windows that would work provide a similar RDP capability for
Linux, I would appreciate knowing how to get it. I use Redhat Linux 8.0
Professional with the Gnome GUI so I would like to be able to launch a
GNOME RDP like session, and not just a simple command shell on my
Windows PC. I got to believe that if such a tool is not already
available then it must be in the works somewhere. Obviously, such a toll
would have great benefits to the administration of a combined Linux &
Microsoft networking environment.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International