[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:12:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 10:27, John Holmblad wrote:
> Furthermore, you cannot have an RDP session
> at the same time as a user is logged on locally. The local user has to
> log off, before the RDP session can proceed.

The "remote assistance" facility implies this is not required. I'd love
to know how to do "remote assistance" without relying on an email or MSN
Messenger connection - does anybody know how to do this?

> If anyone on this list knows of a convenient tool that  runs under
> Microsoft Windows that would work provide a similar RDP capability for
> Linux, I would appreciate knowing how to get it. I use Redhat Linux 8.0
> Professional with the Gnome GUI so I would like to be able to launch a
> GNOME RDP like session, and not just a simple command shell on my
> Windows PC. I got to believe that if such a tool is not already
> available then it must be in the works somewhere. Obviously, such a toll
> would have great benefits to the administration of a combined Linux &
> Microsoft networking environment.

http://www.cygwin.com/

Install the X server packages, and make a shortcut for the X server
pointing it at your Linux box as the XDMCP (X display management control
protocol) server. You'll get a graphical login and desktop from the X
server.

This is somewhat similar to RDP and Windows TS/200x Application Sharing,
except Unix has had this capability for more than fifteen years
(1985-ish).

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute an