[Dshield] Polish Baloney

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Wed Oct 22 19:05:36 GMT 2003

A lot of these viruses will infect your system, and then pick
two names out of the address book. They will make the email
to one name, and appear to be from the other.

When the recieving email server gets the email, it then
reports back to the spoofed sender saying you are infected.

Of course, you are not infected, but somebody that has your
address in their address book likely is. You can narrow it
down by looking at the headers, and in some cases identify
friends with particular ISP's but it's likely you won't find
out who truly is infected.

Hope this helps,
Keith.