[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:03:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 12:00, Mark Tombaugh wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2003 01:27 pm, John Holmblad wrote:
> > If anyone on this list knows of a convenient tool that  runs under
> > Microsoft Windows that would work provide a similar RDP capability for
> > Linux, I would appreciate knowing how to get it.
>
> What about VNC?
> <http://www.realvnc.com/download.html>

I wouldn't recommend that, as it fires off an X session (desktop) on the
Linux box and leaves it sitting idle until somebody connects using VNC.

> or ssh -X from another system with x-windows..

You could do that with Cygwin, but you'd have to be running the window
manager locally (on the Windows box). Cygwin does provide the fvwm
window manager, but the newer desktop environments (KDE, GNOME) are not
yet available. It's less painful to use XDMCP to get a graphical login
and desktop from the remote box, and have the only thing running locally
be the X server.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute an